Welcome to the page introducing our pet transportation service. If you are moving to another country with your domestic animal or wish your pet to be brought to your new home, if you have found new homes for your pet’s litter abroad and want them delivered there or if you want to go on a trip with your pet, then you’ve reached the right place.
We can assist you in everything related to transporting pets out from Estonia. We also provide help with all possible import procedures upon your pet’s arrival to Estonia (air terminal handling, customs procedures and documentation for the import of live animals).
International pet transport is mainly carried out by air transport. Taking into consideration the comfort and safety of the pet, road or marine transport from Estonia can be only arranged in case of short distances, to destinations in Finland, Sweden, Latvia and Lithuania.
Air transport rules for pets are defined by exact and detailed regulations. All stages of transportation from leaving the safety of the home to arrival to destination must be as prompt and pet-friendly as possible. Regulations and requirements for international air transport of pets have been designed to eliminate endangering the health health of the pet and discomfort during the course of transportation. Pet transport is a complicated procedure, which requires understanding a range of details and the cooperation between various parties of transport should function flawlessly.
With our long experience and in-depth knowledge about pet transport we will gladly help you out through the several stages of pet transport that require a lot of knowledge. The detailed information about planning and carrying out air transport of pets is described in owner’s transport manual.
This page will not provide answers to all of your questions, so we are looking forward to your contacts in order to communicate directly and to find a solution to suit your transport requirements.
Pet travels with a passenger in the cabin. In this case the owner will communicate directly with the carrier. Information about planning a trip for a pet as well as booking a flight for a pet is done via flight booking systems of the carrier. Various air carriers have different rules for animal transport in the cabin. There are also different requirements regarding the maximum weight of the pet and the maximum size of the animal container that is allowed inside the cabin.
Pet transport as cargo. In some cases pets have to be transported as cargo, e.g. when the weight of animal or the size of container are too big for the cabin, the rules of the carrier do not allow animals in the cabin, the animal has no escort during the flight or the import regulations of the destination country do not allow bringing animals into the country in the cabin. The service we provide is mediating pet transport as cargo and other relevant services as a flight agent of the air carriers.
Transportation of live animals is one of the most regulated areas of transport. The foremost reason is the safety of people traveling with animals, but the well-being and safety of the animals is just as important. Animal transport should be as short as possible, without long waits, quiet and with suitable temperature.
Pet transport as cargo is carried out with a help of flight agents, or freight forwarders. Since only contractual agents are allowed to handle flight cargoes, pet owners are required to turn to a flight agent. Pet transport can be only arranged by flight agents that employ a specially trained freight forwarder.
“Pet owner’s guide”, given below, is a part of Annika Avaste’s thesis “Air transportation of pets”, defended in the Department of Transport of Tallinn University of Technology in 2013. The noted chapter gives an overview to pet owner about conditions that should be considered when planning pet transport, and what the stages of pet transport are.
PET OWNER’S GUIDE
1. Freight forwarder’s role in pet transport is essential. Pet owner who would like to transport their pet should certainly check the company’s background prior to selecting a freight forwarder. It is important that the flight has sufficient experience and knowledge of arranging pet transport. It is advisable to send information pertaining the pet to the freight forwarder as early as possible before the planned transport. The following information is obligatory:
– Animal species
– Age of animal
– Weight of animal (presumed weight at the time of transport – for growing offspring)
– Weight of travel container
– Dimensions of travel container
– Place of departure and destination
2. The travel container has an important role in pet transportation. Very specific requirements apply to travel containers in air transport of animals. Container should be chosen based on the species, size and weight of the animal. Any air carrier may also define special rules for travel containers used for animal transport. A freight forwarder’s task is inform the animal owner of the requirements pertaining to the parameters of the travel container for the specific animal and means of transport. The freight forwarder is to inform the animal owner about special formulas that have been created to calculate the correct travel container size. Responsibility for using a travel container with correct measurements and build lies with the consignor, i.e. the sender of the animal, in the terms of air consignment note or Air Waybill. A freight forwarder as a mediator cannot escort an animal.
3. Flight forwarders typically have the most up-to-date information about formulas in use for calculating the size of a travel container. The dimensions for travel containers used for transporting cats and dogs are calculated as follows:
Length of container* = A + ½B
Width of container* = C x 2
Height of container* = D
A – Length of animal from tip of nose to base/root of tail
B – Height from ground to elbow joint
C – Width across shoulders or widest point (whichever is the greater)
D – Height of animal in natural standing position from top of the head or the ear tip to the floor (whichever is higher)
* inside measurements of the container
NB! It is important to remember that formulas for calculating the dimensions of travel containers are subject to change without notice.
4. To avoid urine leakage from travel container, the container floor needs to be covered with absorbent bedding. The container should also have a built-in water vessel that can be filled without opening the container. Depending on the duration of flight(s) it is sometimes advisable to pack along some dry pet food to be be given to the animal at different stages of transport according to its feeding schedule.
5. If sufficient information is available, the freight forwarder will compile a price offer. A pet transport offer includes detailed information about provided services, and the forwarder is obliged to inform the pet owner of all animal import and export related requirements and necessary documents. A freight forwarders price offer typically includes flight schedules and durations.
6. Upon approving the price offer the freight forwarder and pet owner settle the expected duration of flight. Readiness of travel documentation and the pet need to be considered when setting a date for the flight. The pet must be timely vaccinated against parasites and worms, but also against rabies and other diseases depending on the regulations of the destination country. The owner of the animal undertakes the responsibility to ensure all veterinary requirements for air transport and the destination country are met.
7. After veterinary examination and receipt of required documents the owner of the animal is to give the documents to the freight forwarder, who in turn will pass them on to the air carrier and the freight forwarder of the destination country. Air carrier (or carrier’s agent) will make all necessary bookings for requested flight and the freight forwarder of the destination country will check conformity of documents with the regulations of the destination country.
8. If destination country has an established quarantine policy on imported live animals, the owner of the animal must find a suitable place for quarantine and pay for it. The freight forwarder of the destination country may recommend suitable options for quarantine housing and, if necessary, book a place for the pet.
9. At least 1 day prior to the flight’s departure date the owner of the animal must bring their animal, travel container and all relevant documents to Tallinn Airport freight terminal, where an IATA checklist will be filled in by an authorised and qualified employee. Animal owner will sign the consignor’s certificate and the checklist.
10. The animal needs to be walked, fed and given water immediately before going to the airport. Tallinn Airport freight terminal needs to be arrived at no later than 2 hours before departure. All documents and travel container needs to be taken along with the pet. At the freight terminal the IATA checklist will be gone through once more and flight permission will be given.
11. Upon arrival to the destination country the animal owner or their representative has to pick up the animal at the airport and perform all necessary import procedures according to the requirements of the destination country. If a freight forwarder has been authorized to perform such services they will perform all required procedures and help the animal owner or their representative upon the animal’s arrival at the airport terminal.
Reference: Annika Avaste (2013). Thesis “Air transportation of pets”. Tallinn University of Technology, Department of Transport.